Farmers Market

Farmer’s Market means a marketplace which operates seasonally, principally as a common market for Iowa-produced farm products on a retail basis for consumption elsewhere.

  • Farmer’s market potentially hazardous food license– means a license for a temporary food establishment that sells potentially hazardous foods at farmer’s markets. A separate annual farmer’s market potentially hazardous food license is required for each county in which the licensee sells potentially hazardous foods at farmer’s markets. The license is only applicable at farmer’s markets and is not required in order to sell wholesome, fresh shell eggs to consumer customers.

Click on the Gray Tabs for additional information on:

Laws and Regulations
• Iowa Food Code and FDA Food Codes

Basic Requirements
• Information on the basic requirements for preparing and selling temperature controlled (for safety) food at a Farmer’s Market in the State of Iowa

• Farmer’s Market food license application

Food Manager Resources
• Guidance documents for running your Farmer’s Market prepared food stand

  • A Farmers Market Food Establishment License must be obtained from the appropriate Regulatory Authority.

  • A Farmers Market Food Establishment License is an annual license that may be used at any farmers market within the state of Iowa.

  • Persons who operate a farmers market stand simultaneously at more than one market are required to have a separate license for each location.

  • Applications not received at least 30 days prior to operating may not be reviewed.

  • Penalties will be assessed if application is not submitted prior to operating.  Applications not received, processed, and approved prior to operating may require a single event temporary food license until the annual farmers market license is approved and issued.


 Please check the Regulatory Authorities map to determine the appropriate food inspection and licensing agency for your area.

Only individuals who will be operating a food establishment under the jurisdiction of the Department of Inspections, Appeals and Licensing (DIAL) should submit their license application and corresponding fee(s) to DIAL at the address below.  All other applicants should mail their license application and fees to their local regulatory authority.


For information on License Application Fee Refunds click here:  IAC 481.30.3(2)

If your food establishment is licensed and inspected by the DIAL’s Food Safety Bureau, send your application and fee(s) to the address below:

Iowa Department of Inspections, Appeals, and Licensing

Food Safety Bureau

6200 Park Ave

Des Moines, IA 50321