Food Poisoning Facts
For tips on prevention, download our fact sheet:
The Iowa Food Safety and Defense Task Force is a group of individuals and organizations interested in food safety and defense. The Task Force members include federal, state, and local government agencies; commodity groups; food related trade associations; food producers; academia; and others. The Task Force meets 3 to 4 times per year. The Task Force also sponsors educational opportunities each year.
Food Safety News
- February 22, 2017
- Evanger’s blames supplier, FDA, for Pentobarbital in dog food
- Breaking news: Evanger’s reveals presence of horse DNA in its Hunk of Beef dog food in a Wednesday letter to its customers. The company will recall all of its Hunk of Beef, Braised Beef Chunks with Gravy and Against the Grain Pulled Beef. The formal recall announcement will be issued this week. Consumer complaints continue... Continue Reading
- February 21, 2017
- Another 130 cheese products recalled for Listeria; FDA gagged
- More than 130 additional cheeses and products containing cheeses are under recall because of Listeria monocytogenes found in cheese produced by Deutsch Kase Haus LLC. A variety of cheese brands are involved, including Sargento, Sara Lee, Saputo, Dutch Valley and Guggisberg, as well as a variety of store-branded products sold by Meijer, Albertsons, H-E-B and... Continue Reading
- February 19, 2017
- FDA inspection report labels Evanger’s pet food adulterated
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration Friday released the results of a month-long investigation of Evanger’s Dog & Cat Food Co., its production facility in Wheeling, IL, and the Nutripack LLC, facility in Markham, IL. Nutripack is owned by Brett Sher, son of Joel and Holly Sher, who own Evanger’s. Joel Sher is listed as manager... Continue Reading
- February 17, 2017
- FDA confirms euthanasia agent pentobarbital in dog food
- The Food and Drug Administration is advising pet owners and pet caretakers not to feed their pets with certain lots of Evanger’s and Against the Grain dog food after confirming the presence of the euthanasia agent pentobarbital in both products. Following discussions with FDA, Evanger’s announced a voluntary recall Feb. 3 of five lots of... Continue Reading
- February 21, 2017
- Bee International issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Milk in “Plastic Heart Tubes with Chocolate Lentils”
- Bee International, Inc. of Chula Vista, CA is recalling its 1.7oz. Plastic Heart Tubes with Chocolate Lentils because they may contain undeclared milk protein. People who have allergies to milk may run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume this product.
- February 21, 2017
- Organic Herbal Supply, Inc. Announces a Voluntary Nationwide Recall of XtraHRD Natural Male Enhancement Capsules
- Organic Herbal Supply, Inc. announced today that it is conducting a voluntary nationwide recall of all lots of XtraHRD Natural Male Enhancement capsules. FDA analysis has found the product to contain Tadalafil. Tadalafil is a FDA-approved drug used as treatment for male Erectile Dysfunction (ED). The active drug ingredients are not listed on the label for this product. To date, no adverse events have been reported.
- February 20, 2017
- MDS Foods Inc, of Massillon, OH is Expanding the Current Recall to include Products Identified by Deutsch Kase Haus, LLC of Middlebury, Indiana from their 02/15/2017 Product Recall
- Deutsch Kase Haus, LLC of Middlebury, Indiana, supplied MDS Foods with cheeses that have been found to be contaminated with the pathogenic organism Listeria Monocytogenes which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women. At the time of this release, no illnesses have been reported.
- February 11, 2017
- Taylor Farms Recalls Chicken and Pork Salad Products Due To Possible Listeria Contamination
- Two Taylor Farms establishments, located in Dallas, Texas and in Tracy, California, and headquartered in Salinas, California, are recalling approximately 6,630 pounds of chicken and pork salad products that may be adulterated with Listeria monocytogenes (Lm).
- February 7, 2017
- Ukrop’s Homestyle Foods Recalls Beef and Chicken Chili Flavored Soup Products Due To Misbranding and Undeclared Allergens
- Ukrop’s Homestyle Foods, a Richmond, Va. establishment, is recalling approximately 45 pounds of beef and chicken chili flavored soup products due to misbranding and undeclared allergens.
- January 31, 2017
- Beat Foodborne Illness this Super Bowl
- As excitement for this year's Super Bowl grows, the United States Department of Agriculture encourages consumers to use safe food handling practices at a championship level and avoid becoming one of the estimated 48 million Americans who gets sick from foodborne illnesses each year.